The newly-formed department leases space in John Tremko’s barn on
Route 44 across from St. Philip the Apostle Church to serve as its first fire
station. At some point, it purchases the former Warrenville School on
Route 89, just north of Route 44. The school becomes the department's
permanent residence for the next 50-plus years. The Ashford Veterans
purchase a 1930s-era Seagrave fire truck for $255 and donate it to the
1953 Six members of the AVFD complete the department's first first-aid course,
and the AVFD Lady's Auxiliary is formed.
1955 The AVFD enters into an agreement with the Town of Ashford to provide
fire suppression services to its citizens.
1958 Following a dispute, some AVFD members form a second department in
the Lake Chaffee area, which competes with the AVFD.
1959 The AVFD conducts its first chicken barbecue.
1967 The AVFD acquires its first ambulance, a 1962 Cadillac.
1975 The AVFD contracts with the Town of Ashford to serve as the sole
provider of fire protection and emergency medical services for the town,
effectively putting its Lake Chaffee competitor out of business. To keep
homeowner’s insurance premiums for residents at the north end of town
from increasing, the AVFD locates a fire truck in a shed owned by the
Hnath family on Ferrence Road. This structure serves as the AVFD’s
second firehouse and is named Company No. 2 (as opposed to the
former schoolhouse, which becomes Company No. 1).
1978 The AVFD assumes ownership of the Lake Chaffee department’s
firehouse on Old Town Road, which becomes the new Company No. 2.
That location is still in use today and is now referred to as Station 220.
2004 The AVFD moves into a new firehouse (known as Station 20) on Route
89, adjacent to the former Company No. 1
2010 The AVFD hires paid staff to support a continually growing town and
2011 The AVFD anticipates the arrival of a new Rescue Truck
|HOME | ABOUT US | MEMBERS' AREA | DUTY CREW | PHOTOS|